Tuesday, August 18, 2015

My 30 plus year love affair ...

After securing my morning caffeine fix and wandering through the rows of farm fresh produce, meats and crafts at the Greensboro Farmer's Curb Market, I spent the remainder of this past Saturday morning at my favorite place to shop.  Since I hate shopping in general that is saying a lot!  I have been a member and loyal customer at REI for over half of my life.  Originally and for a long time, this shopping was only through paper catalogs and then online orders.  I didn't live anywhere near an actual REI storefront until just recently.  Like a kid in a candy store, I LOVE walking into REI.

They have one of the best shopping experiences I could ever hope for - camping gear, paddling gear, climbing gear, backpacking equipment and the list goes on and on.  Every kind of outdoor product, gadget, clothing or footwear you could ever need ... or in my case want.

I continue to make lists and revise what gear is I will include for my upcoming thru-hike.  Part of the problem is one of cost vs. weight.  I already own quite a bit of existing equipment that would be adequate for this trip.  However some of the items are a lot heavier than new models.  Items in this category include stove, water filter, and shelter.  I'll tackle shelter in today's post.

About 2 months ago I purchased an Eno Double Deluxe hammock.  In June I received an Eno Profly Hammock Rain Tarp as a birthday gift.  I've had a chance to use these on several weekend camping trips this summer and both are great products.  Staff at REI are always very helpful, but never pushy.  I worked with Drew to examine the Hennessy Hammock Ultralite Backer Asym Zip. We had the whole thing laid out on the floor checking length, attachment points and quality of materials and zip up netting.  After more thought, I decided against it - it wasn't quite long enough for my height and the weight limit was less than my 1/8th of a ton. The asymmetric design of the tarp didn't seem like it would provide enough shelter in a storm.  The hammock I returned is heavier and wider than I'll need for just myself, so I got the Eno SingleNest Hammock in Khaki/Olive.  The tarp is smaller in size and about the same weight as the Eno HouseFly Rain Tarp that will provide more cover and hopefully keep me drier during strong thunderstorms.

Other recent purchases from REI include:  REI Convertible Sahara Pants ; REI Flash 62 Pack ; Therm-A-Rest Z-Seat Pad ; MSR Mini Ground Hog Stakes ; REI Carbon Power Lock Trekking Poles ; Sierra Ridge merino wool / synthetic shirt ; Snow Peak Trek 1400 Titanium Cookset ; Big Agnes Pack Cover and Sierra Designs Hurricane Rain Pants.

With a one year, 100% money back guarantee, I will continue loving REI for the second half of my life!  If something wears out, breaks or just doesn't live up to expectations - that's right, I'll ship it back in the next trail town and have a replacement waiting for me.

Don't have the time or money to go crazy shopping at REI like I did?  Not ready for an adventure of your own?  Check out others as they pursue their outdoor passions at REI Blogs.

With September almost here and the temperatures hopefully cooling a bit, I plan to get out on the weekends and test new and existing gear and work out food ideas and recipes for the trail. 

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment