Friday, August 7, 2015

Who is The Other One?

I’m a 55 year old single dad with one daughter who is in college.  She is quite an independent (and amazing) Argonaut. She is leaving next week to study for a semester in Europe.
 ( photo of us in Iceland under the  Seljalandsfoss waterfall )

We have both traveled together quite a bit outside the U.S. and now she is heading out on her own educational and cultural adventure. I am SO happy for her ... and jealous!!

I am an IT professional working as a contractor, but I don’t expect my work contract to be renewed at the end of the year, so I am planning this hike regardless of my employment status in early 2016. I will sell everything except what I can fit into my Honda Civic, vacate my apartment and hopefully be able to drive South to spend some time with my father and brothers. Training will continue until Spring and include: bicycling, walking, hiking, Paleo/Primal fitness exercises, and backpacking. After I finish with work I'll have a chance to generally get my life downsized, organized and ready for the trail.
Moving forward, one step at a time …



My hobbies are varied and include: apiculture (beekeeping), aquapoincs (combining aquaculture and hydroponics), 
beer and wine making, making fermented foods (Kombucha, sauerkraut, kimchi, sour pickles, chutneys, and home-cured olives), canning and preserving food,  knitting, and gardening.
 


Even though my career as been mostly in technology, my education is science-based and includes a B.S. in Earth & Environmental Science and a M.S. in Environmental Education.  In 2010 I completed my Permaculture Design certification.

No comments:

Post a Comment